Multiple conditions in the body often cause stomach or abdominal pain. However, its common causes are an abnormal growth of bacteria, serious infections, intestinal disorders, and obstructions in the digestive system. Some people might suffer from throat infections or an infection inside their intestines. This infection enters the blood and causes the bacteria to get inside the digestive tract leading to mild to severe stomach pain. These infections can cause alterations in the digestion of food like constipation or diarrhea.
Mark Swaim MD PhD is an eminent gastroenterologist from Jackson in Tennessee, USA. He has more than 20 years of valuable experience in the field and treats digestive disorders like stomach pain, acid reflux, heartburn, stomach ulcers, constipation, and Crohn’s Disease.
Besides being a widely respected and loved physician in the USA, he is a notable molecular biologist, essayist, hepatologist, physician, and photography by Marquis Who’s Who. He has been the recipient of several prestigious awards like the Brody Award for the history of medicine 1998 and the Davison Award for teaching excellence. His hobbies include chamber music, writing, travel, and photography.
When it comes to treating stomach aches in patients, he is determined to get to the root cause of the pain so that people receive a customized treatment plan for a cure. He says cramps associated with their menstruation can be a source of pain in the lower abdomen in women. However, most of them cause pain in the pelvic region, and in such cases, a medical test with a specialist is recommended.
General causes of stomach pain
Given below are the most general causes of pain in the abdomen-
- Stomach flu or gastroenteritis
- Acid reflux- this is generally caused when the contents of the stomach leak back into the esophagusleading to heartburn and associated symptoms of discomfort and pain
Diseases that trigger stomach pain
The following diseases cause stomach pain-
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease, also called GERD
- Crohn’s Disease – this refers to an inflammation in the bowel system
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome or the presence of a spastic colon- this refers to a disorder that leads to cramps, abdominal pain, and a change in the bowel movement
- Lactose intolerance- refers to the inability to digest the sugar found in milk and other products made from milk
Common causes of severe stomach pain
- Infection in the kidney
- Stones in the kidney
- Stones in the gallbladder also called gallstones
- Organ ruptures or a close rupture like appendicitis or a burst appendix.
Dr. Mark Swaim MD PhD says that people should never ignore stomach aches in the body. They must visit a good gastroenterologist for a complete medical check-up. The doctor might prescribe specific health tests to get to the root of the problem to be effectively treated with a customized plan. In this way, they can alleviate discomfort and pain in the abdomen over time with success!