Our body works better when it can use its maximum potential and limitless movements. However, neck and back pains, injuries due to accidents, and many other dysfunctions hinder our body movement potentials. Osteopathic health in Melbourne offers a variety of services to help your body condition, strengthen, and recover from any of these dysfunctions and identify the cause of pain.
To know more on osteopathy and how it helps our body to perform its maximum potential, read below:
An Overview on Osteopathy
Osteopathy utilizes manual medicine, which means that it doesn’t make use of drugs/medications or invasive surgical procedures in improving the body’s health. Instead, the diagnosis and treatment are done by hand to treat wide variety of conditions with a holistic approach. Also, it aims to treat the body as a whole and not just the dysfunctional parts. It mainly involves manipulating and strengthening the musculoskeletal structure (joints, muscles, and spine) to generate positive effects on the circulatory, nervous, and lymphatic systems.
Osteopathic treatments include stretching or applying mild pressure and resistance to your muscles, exercise therapies such as pilates and exercise physiology, massage, and myotherapy, running analytics, custom orthotics, and many more.
What Conditions can Osteopathy Treat?
The following conditions can be treated and relieved through an osteopathic approach:
- Pain caused by arthritis
- Pain in the neck, shoulder, back, hand, elbow, hip, knee, ankle, foot
- Elbow injuries of tennis and golf players
- Problems in posture caused by pregnancy, injury due to sports, strain from driving or working too hard
- Digestive system problems
Benefits and Risks of Osteopathy
- A mild and delicate massage and stretching on the back muscles can prevent or relieve back pain and correct poor posture.
- An osteopathic therapist can detect possible sources of pain or body discomfort and when found to be serious, can recommend you to conventional treatment.
- Osteopathic physicians provide advice on how to prevent muscle pains and strains in the future, such as:
- Changes in your diet and lifestyle
- Proper seating and desk position
- Proper posture
- Breathing and stretching exercises
- Techniques in lifting certain body parts
- Tips to reduce stress
- If you have insomnia and long-term pain is its cause, osteopathy can help you sleep without any discomfort
- Certain osteopathic treatments aim to improve the overall lymphatic system, which in turn improves all the other internal systems in the body without having to undergo invasive treatments.
- You may feel stiffness or headache for 1-2 days after the treatment, just like you’ve just exercised in the gym.
- For older patients, they are less likely to feel the common side effects; however, they are prone to experiencing strenuous pain. In elders who have osteoporosis, rib fracture is common. Numbness and tingling sensation may also be felt.
- Very rare risks include stroke, the disk that prolapsed, pain moving to a limb, damage to nerves, muscle feebleness, and digestive problems (bladder or bowel).
It is important to get assessed by an osteopathic physician first before undergoing osteopathy.
Overall, the osteopathic health in Melbourne tailors specific osteopathic therapies needed by your body to get its balance back. This treatment, in turn, will allow you to be pain-free and be able to perform your body’s full potential without restraint.